Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 24: Running

Class was pretty good today! It started off with an amazing improvement in hands to feet pose. My face almost touched my legs! It was so weird. I just kept pulling on my heels with all my strength and suddenly, I was almost face-planting my own legs. I was so elated I almost started laughing, which has become my latest thing-to-suppress after postures. Hey, it's better than grunting, which is what I used to have to hold back.

Also, head to knee with stretching continues to improve a thousandfold. I almost locked my right knee today! It was only last week that I was grumbling and pushing my chest out of the way angrily. I still can't lock my left leg - not even close - but I know I eventually will be able to and that is worth a lot.

The most exciting thing ever happened to me today. Jason's decided his knee is okay to start running again, so he's been going out the past week or so. Tonight, I decided I wanted to go with him. Quick recap: I ran for a few months before yoga, but hurt my knee. I took a couple months off, and then started yoga. The fastest mile I've recorded running was a ~18 minute mile, and this was three months into training (running 3/4 times a week).

Tonight, after taking over four months off from running and under 60 Bikram yoga classes, I ran 12.5 minute miles. That's right, folks: in under two months, Bikram yoga helped me shave 5.5 minutes off my mile. This run included a gigantor hill that I've only ever been able to run up a quarter/half of in the past. My legs weren't even burning on the run, not at all! My lungs need work, and once they've regained more flexibility, I'll be able to go even faster.

I can't even believe it. I feel like someone waved a magic wand and made me better.

No comments:

Post a Comment