Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Days 36 & 37

I don't remember much from yesterday's class. It was another good, solid class with strong breath control. Sometimes, there just isn't too much to say about a class and that's how I feel about yesterday.

Today, however... sigh. Today's class wasn't so great for me. The good news is that my bad classes are not quite as bad as they used to be. I only got a touch dizzy and I didn't skip any poses. So I'm pretty happy that my perception of a bad class has been bumped up a notch.

I am having a lot - and I mean a LOT - of trouble with triangle. It's the bane of my existence right now. I have a hard time taking a wide enough step so I don't have to wiggle my foot around to get my thigh flat. My heels don't want to stay in line. I cannot, for the life of me, stop slipping and sliding. If I get my arms vertical and look up to the ceiling, I almost always fall over. I am working really hard to not get frustrated with myself in triangle because frustration never serves me. I guess we all looked miserable because the instructor lovingly laughed at us and said, "It's just triangle, guys!"

My hips were not good in this class. I had to do a lot of mid-posture hip adjustments and sit through a lot of wonky savasanas. Fixed firm pose was bad and I felt a cramp in my back, weirdly enough, which I think means I was doing something really wrong. I need to keep my back flat on the ground and not arch at all. That pose either really works or really doesn't for me. In bow, despite my wonky hips, I managed to get some spinal compression. At the very end of bow, I tightened my glutes as much as humanly possible and my legs shot in towards the center, which is AWESOME! I love bow pose!

The general consensus post-class was that it was a fairly hot one, but I didn't really notice the heat much. It would explain why I got dizzy in that one spot, though. Also, something I read in a teacher training blog (I went on a TEAR of reading TT blogs for a minute there) struck me: when the room is on the cooler side, the game is physical. Your body doesn't stretch as easily because it's not as warmed up. When the room is on the hotter side, the game switches to mental. Your body is supple and flexible but your brain is jumping off bridges and you have to rein it in. It's an interesting thought for sure. And it'd explain why my head was a little off today in class!

See you crazy kids tomorrow. I'm thinking about a double on Friday but it all depends on how much I get done between now and then. We'll see!

1 comment: