Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day Whatever: Holidays, Canceled Class, Stomach Bug, and a Double Date

Whew, it's been a while since I posted. Sorry! You had to expect some kind of distruption - after all, it is the holiday season. ;)

First things first: I finished my whirlwind 3 classes in 20ish hours and it wasn't pretty. I didn't hydrate properly or eat nearly enough before my last class pre-flight to Massachusetts, so that class was predictably tough. I couldn't do anything but lay in savasana and breathe. It was a huge struggle to not fly out the door and run away, but I managed to stick it out and stay in the room despite my dehydration-induced claustrophobia. Sometimes, just staying in the room is a victory!

So, Christmas Eve morning, my mom and I got up early and went out to her yoga studio. Upon pulling into the parking lot, we were informed the class had been canceled due to the holiday. This was news to us, since the holiday schedule on the website didn't quite agree with this sentiment. There are few things more annoying than actually being dedicated enough to get to class, only to find it not happening. Our moods were grumpy for a bit, before I reminded us both to "let no one steal your peace." At this point, doubles needed to finish my 60-day challenge on time: 1.

On Christmas morning, yet again my mother and I rose early to get to class. This one (thankfully still on) was great! It was nice to get into the room again after a day break, which I think my body actually needed. This class felt really cool to me, perhaps because I was right in front of a big fan that kept cooling my sweat the second it popped out my pores. Despite the perceived lack of heat, it was exciting to see my mom's improvement. When we went back in October for the first time, she couldn't even lay in savasana. This time, she was even able to do the sit-ups! She totally slays the standing series, which is the hardest part of class for me. It's funny that her strong points are my weaknesses and vice versa. It allows for cross-inspiration. :)

The day after Christmas was an equally good class. Jason joined us and it was really neat to have both my mom and Jason in class with me. This class felt back to its normal level of heat, which might have been due to my positioning away from the aforementioned big fan. My mom and I both had firsts in this class, too! She grabbed both feet in camel for the first time ever and I touched my head to the ground in standing separate leg stretching pose (without having my legs so far apart it was nearly a split)! Now, after I touched my head to the floor, I rolled my weight so far forward that I did a little somersault out of the posture but I was so excited to have a breakthrough right alongside my mom! So cool. I kind of wish I had video of my gymnastic move cause I bet it looked pretty hilarious.

And here's where it gets hairy.

There was a massive snowstorm Sunday into Monday. It was one of the top 10 storms New England has ever had, and that's saying something. We were expecting our flight to be canceled, since almost every flight out of Logan was. If the flight was canceled, we were all going to go to the 5:30 yoga class together and hopefully head out on Tuesday. However, the universe had a wrench to throw in my plans! I woke up Monday morning around 6 or 8 (it's hazy) to some god-awful stomach cramps. I thought maybe it was just poor holiday eating coming back to get its revenge on me, but I quickly learned that it was more than a food baby. After praying to the porcelain god for a couple hours, it became apparent that I couldn't travel that day. Ironically, our flight was just about the only one not canceled that day, but I couldn't get out of bed, let alone board the airplane. Jason, who had to work this week, was feeling healthy and decided to head back to Texas without his poor, suffering girlfriend (haha). The earliest flight I could get out of Boston? Friday. Guh. I was out of commission, travel-wise and yoga-wise. Doubles needed: 2.

Tuesday was much the same. I wasn't throwing up anymore, but my stomach was still feeling terrible and I wasn't able to eat a bite. I was sustaining myself on small sips of Gatorade and basically just slept all day and tried to find positions that didn't kill my aching joints. No yoga for me. Doubles needed: 3.

So, today I'm feeling relatively back to normal. I was able to keep some food down, and I've been drinking some much-needed water. I'm planning on getting back to the hot room later, for the 5:30 class. My mom is going to come with me, too! Yayyyy.

The plan for the rest of the week is as follows: I will do singles today through Monday. I will do a double Tuesday, single Wednesday, double Thursday, single Friday, and double Saturday to finish out my challenge. Nita, a teacher at my studio who I've become friends with, is going to join me on my final day! Nita is so inspirational! She has a beautiful practice and a stunningly positive attitude and it will be very nice to have her spirit helping me through the last day of my challenge. She's teaching the 10 am, which I'll take, and then we're going to go to Spiral Diner for some healthy and delicious vegan lunch, and we'll take a class together to finish out my last class of the challenge! It will be such a nice end to what is sure to be a mentally and physically taxing week.

I'm really kind of happy with the way everything is turning out. I think the universe did this whole thing on purpose to force me into a bunch of doubles I would definitely not have done otherwise. When I got sick, I became a bit depressed that I wasn't going to be able to finish my challenge, but I realized that if I didn't finish my challenge, it would be my choice to leave it undone. I can choose to finish it, regardless of any obstacles in my way. Will it be hard? Yes. Can I do it? Yes. Will I do it? YES.

2 comments:

  1. YES! awesome commitment katie! so very very rad. ive never done a back to back double but ive done doubles before. like take a 930am class and come back for the 5pm. i have to say im a fan of the doubles and they arent nearly as scary as they sound.

    that being said, teacher training doubles totally freak me the F out. but its not gonna keep me from going. BKTT fall 2011 here i come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHAVON! i'm so happy to hear from you here! thanks for commenting, it means a lot.

    i did one back-to-back double and it was terrifying. haha. i had just gotten off a plane and wasn't really prepared for it. i have done a couple doubles of the 9:30/5-style variety, which i like way better (cause i have time to eat a meal and hydrate in between). isn't that basically what the TT doubles are? except 5 in a row instead of one here and there, of course. heh.

    i think i'm going to be headed to TT in spring 12. that gives me enough time to get my finances and my practice in order. by then, you'll be a seasoned pro and will be able to give me all kinds of good tips. ;)

    i'm off to scour your blog now!

    ReplyDelete