Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day 38

I had a good class again, thankfully! I haven't taken a noon class in a while and I'm always so happy when I leave and have the whole day open ahead of me. Tonight is the BYD holiday party and I'm about to make some guacamole and bean and vegan cheese casserole for the festivities. It'll be fun to see everyone in normal clothes and not covered in a liter of sweat.

I really enjoyed the instructor that taught today. She is constantly reminding us to lift our chests, which helps me in so many postures. I love classes with a lot of corrections and today was one of those. The standing series was pretty hard for me again around triangle (grumble, grumble) but I did the best I could and tried to put it behind me. I still really hate triangle with every fiber of my being. I know that this just means I need it really badly, but damn. I wish it would click for me already. Patience, patience...

I had my hips perfectly aligned in wind-removing pose, which allowed me to really feel the pinch in my hip. I got a cramp in my right hip joint on the first set which was actually kind of cool. It was really nice to be able to relax into the posture and find my peace within it. I just can't do that if I'm freaking out about my hips.

The best part of class, far and away, was camel. The instructor said we had a little extra time and that we'd be hold the second set of camel for a full minute as a result! She said she's give the option to come out of it when we normally do, but I decided I was going to hold it the whole time. It was AWESOME. I almost felt like I was flying when I came out of it. The post-camel feeling is such a beautiful release. I almost started crying, not from sadness and not quite from happiness. It's hard to explain, but it's simply a lightness.

Because we pushed camel longer, we also pushed the second set of rabbit longer so we would have a balanced backbend/forward bend combo. I didn't hold rabbit as long as I held camel, but I pushed it longer than normal until I legitimately couldn't breathe anymore. That's always my problem in rabbit. My stomach and chest will push up into my throat and squish my breathing parts. It's a work in progress!

Can I mention how much I hate spine twist? I can't get my heel to touch my knee, it's always like... the side of my ankle, or even my calf. Then the instructor today said our weight should be in our front knee, when I've been trying to keep it even in my hips. This posture makes me feel totally clueless some days. I think it will get a little easier as I continue to tone up, because my stomach makes the twisting a little awkward right now. I'll just keep trying and see where I end up.

And now to make some delicious food for the holiday party! Perhaps I will see you there. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Katie! Thanks for the shout out back in November. I am longing for a "real" class - but am still making the best of it in my steamy bathroom. Your blog encourages me. I can really identify with the way you describe your practice. I'm right there with ya on all those highs and lows. My 60 day challenge ended on Dec 5th but fizzled in those last days due to half marathon training. Now I'm challenging myself to get 5 days in instead of 3. 3 is not enough! You are so right about yoga straightening out food issues. I miss too many days in a row and feel yucky and crave junk!! You have really done well. And might I just add that if things continue as you've planned... You'll make a great instructor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi melanie! it's so good to hear from you! a 60 day challenge and a half-marathon at the same time is quite an undertaking. congrats!

    i know what you mean about 3 days not being enough. i only got in 10 classes in october and it was awful! i was happy to get back at it with this last challenge.

    thanks so much for your kind words and for reading my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete