Saturday, December 4, 2010

Days 24 (oops) and 25

Day 24 simply wasn't.

Jason and I planned on taking the 4:30 together since he took the day off work. We slept in and lazed around in the morning and then got ready for class. On the way, we hit a massive pile of traffic that conveniently had us reaching the parking lot at the stroke of 4:30. As we had to change, use the restroom, and purchase water, it dawned on us that we didn't really have time to get in there before the end of pranayama. So we made a split-second decision: We would skip class that day and commit to a double on another day. It just wouldn't be a 60-day challenge without missing a class due to circumstances outside my control, now would it?

It's kind of exciting, though. For starters, I've been wanting to try out some doubles but my silly brain has been doing a great job of talking me out of it for the past few weeks. This gives me an absolute reason to do one, which I'm hoping will turn into a desire to do more. Jason suggested doing a 7:30 am/8:15 pm combo which is way less intimidating than my last double, which I did back-to-back. Also, we've taken the 8:15 pm one day and the 7:30 am the next, so I've actually done doubles closer together than that before. I can come home, make some food, and even take a nap if I need to in between the two classes. I'm totally sold and Jason seems kind of pumped up about it too!

Today's class was nice. Jason gave me a great tip for balance in standing head to knee. Instead of trying to keep my leg lifted once I've got it in my hand, it makes a much bigger difference in my balance if I press my leg into my hands and pull my upper body up. It's got that "natural human traction" feeling to it and it makes my standing leg way more solid. I only fell out of the first set three times this way, which is a pretty great success for me.

A teacher the other day told us to push the tops of our feet into the ground on cobra, which has increased both the difficulty and the benefit of the posture for me. I am now touching my heels and toes without turning my hips out! It's not perfect every time, but I'm far more consistent than I've ever been. I can work a lot deeper into my spine this way. I like when things start to line up properly.

The absolute best thing about this practice is that you will never run out of things to work on. When you think you have a posture figured out, some small piece of it will open up and completely change everything. I love breakthrough days like this.

I feel great after today's class. I even had the energy to cook a new recipe, broccoli and potato soup, which I am now about to enjoy. And thus the blog comes to a close!

No comments:

Post a Comment