Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Days 8 & 9

Jason and I decided to do another 8:15 pm / 7:30 am class pairing this week so that we could practice together. I'm actually growing to like this structure; it feels almost like a double since the classes are so close together. We had the same teacher for each and I feel like he got the best out of both of us, so score!

Last night's class was so great that after I got home, I couldn't stop buzzing around the house doing things. Jason and I started a fire in the fireplace and I went on to finally clean the bedroom of our post-vacation debris (suitcases, clothes all over the place, etc). I cleaned the laundry room a touch and did a slew of laundry. It was awesome to have so much energy, especially so late at night when I usually just want to lay on the couch and be lazy. Jason did all the dishes and cooked a delicious dinner for the both of us. Yay, yoga energy!

The 7:30 class this morning was a good one as well, though I am pretty physically tired right now. Granted, I only got a few hours of sleep, so it's understandable. I'm definitely not as tired as I normally would be after five hours of sleep, so there is something to doing yoga to stave off tiredness.

The teacher today told me he thinks I should start competing. Talk about a total shock! I don't really think of myself as competition-ready but I suppose that competition isn't really about winning a prize, it's about pushing your practice. I explained that I'm aiming to teach sometime in the future and he said competition could help me get there. It's an interesting thought, one I will likely bandy around in my head for some time before I settle into it. I know I plan on doing another 60-day challenge basically as soon as this one's over, so that's a step in the right direction.

This challenge feels a lot different from the last one. In the last one, I was focused on just getting through and making it in the door every day. I'm now able to do so much more of all the postures and I derive much more benefit from each asana as a result. I am not daunted at all at the thought of going to class every day for the next 51 days. I'm actually looking forward to it. It's ten times more fun now that Jason and I are going together. I love the ride home after class where we compare notes about how class went for each of us.

I'm very happy these days and I have this practice to thank. :)

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that you could COMPETE with bikram, that's so cool! Go for it!

    Last night's class I did the best camel pose ever so far! It was so friggin' exhilarating! I just really wanted to share that with someone who knew what I was saying. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, there are competitions at the state, national, and international levels. it's really cool. i don't know too much about it but i think i'm interested in trying.

    and HECK YES, maggie! i love it when i have a good camel. i'm constantly amazed by the crazy sensations this yoga makes me feel. it makes me so happy to hear that you're having the same breakthroughs!

    ReplyDelete