Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 3: Back in the swing!

Ahhh, what a GREAT class I had today! For the first time in quite a while, I was able to make it through the standing series without sitting down. I had to take a couple pauses but they really were pauses and not full stops. I reconnected with my breath and pushed forward. And, let me tell you, I have been rewarded!

I feel so calm and at peace right now. My body is relaxed and free of tension and pain. My muscles are tired and a touch sore but I feel in control of them. I have a gentle skin humming which I think might outwardly translate as a touch of glow. I feel like I could either go run a marathon or fall into deep sleep. I haven't felt this good since... well, since I was regularly practicing over the summer.

I'm feeling the stretch all the way into my hip in half moon now. It's crazy how such a small adjustment can make all the difference in the world. I guess that's why this yoga remains challenging even after many years of practice. Awkward pose has gotten difficult for me and I struggle notably in the second part where you rise onto your toes. I always want to turn my hips out to get my balance. It's incredibly hard for me to stand on my toes with my feet in that alignment, so I just work on the very first part as hard as I can.

The standing series was full of rewards for me today! Standing bow is really becoming one of my favorite postures. I even got a compliment from the teacher after class about it today! Once I realized I was pushing my energy in the wrong direction, it just totally rocket-launched my leg up towards the sky. Come to find out, it makes balancing so much easier!

The floor series was great! I love this part of class so much. I am starting to understand why Bikram says the floor series is "where the real yoga begins." My spine's flexibility has increased a lot and that means I can get deeper into a lot of the postures. I really love bow pose. Additionally, camel was fantastic today. I pushed my knees into the ground and worked on opening my chest up to the sky. I came out of the second set with a huge smile on my face. It was so fantastic!

All in all, today was a great class and I got to share it with Jason, which made it even better. He had a great one too! He said it was possibly his best ever. Thumbs way up all around. I love these challenges!

I think the best part about regular practice is that it straightens up my food issues fast and definitively. After class, the thought of "bad" food is just kind of gross to me. I want vegetables and fruit and protein and small portions. It's honestly worth the effort of a daily practice just to be in control of my food choices. When you add in all the other benefits, it becomes even greater. Ahhh. Now, time for a salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment