Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A failure isn't a failure if you refuse to let it get you down.

Okay, so here's the deal: I will not be meeting my 60-day challenge. Here's the story.

I got into town on Friday around noon (I got up at 3 a.m. to go to the airport, ugh) and went home and crashed out in bed for about an hour and a half. I woke up, totally exhausted, but stubbornly set on getting to class. I went to class and it was basically my worst one ever. I barely got through the warm-up series before tanking and spending almost the rest of class flat out. I managed to get some energy up for the spine strengthening series, but other than that, it was basically a wash. I was really kind of in a daze when I left. I felt exhausted physically, tired from being sick that week and from lack of sleep and exhausted mentally from the turmoil of my dad's emergency the day before. I got in the car before I probably should have, and guess what?

I got into a wreck.

Now, all things considered, it wasn't that bad. I rear ended a guy in a truck (who was VERY nice and patient with me while I cried hysterically on the side of the road) and cracked my radiator and my air conditioning unit. The gentleman whose truck I hit was fine, as was his truck, and I was thankfully uninjured as well. I have great Triple A coverage and got a tow pretty quickly, especially for New Year's Eve. My insurance deductible is much lower than I thought it was. The insurance company has so far been absolutely fantastic and the repair guys send me email updates with wonderful reassurance about fixing my car (which, by the way, didn't even have 5000 miles on it). All in all, I'm grateful for how things have turned out. Last week was a "best of the worst" situation - some crappy stuff happened, but it all turned out relatively okay in the end.

However, after the accident, I really just felt shaken and tired and like I actually needed a break to sleep and recover. I honestly felt like I should have listened to my body and not gone to class that night but I was so stubbornly set on meeting the challenge despite all odds. Additionally, because of my sickness the week before, I fell way behind on work for my job and I had a full week of work laying ahead of me - not exactly conducive for three hours of yoga a day. I think sometimes it's appropriate to push through and sometimes it's appropriate to recognize your limitations. Perhaps that's what this challenge was all about for me - realizing that I will not always meet goals that I set.

I'm keeping a positive attitude about the whole thing. No, I won't be hitting 60 classes in 60 days, it's more like 55 in 60. So while I didn't hit the overall goal, I did keep a consistent practice. I can't help but be a little disappointed but I truly feel like I did my best and that's all I can ask of myself.

So I'm back to a normal practice after my disaster week - I only took off two days, but it felt like an eternity. I had a great class tonight! I had the best backbend I've ever had in my entire life. I somehow figured out how to keep my legs locked and my upper body relaxed. I pushed so far back that I really almost fell over backwards. I felt the most amazing rush after coming out of it. For the rest of the standing series, I was a little light-headed. It wasn't exactly dizziness as much as it was the after-effects of very deep spinal compression. I really have trouble explaining the feeling but it's amazing. It's actually a pretty spiritual experience, like I've tapped into a different level of consciousness or something. It's beautiful.

Til tomorrow, folks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment