Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Then bang! crash! the lightning flashed!

Hello, friends in yoga land! It's been a while since I posted and that's because it's been a while since I practiced. After vacation, I didn't get back into yoga right away and that was my downfall. I slid into the "I'll go tomorrow" mindset. My body started falling out of balance. My healthy food cravings disappeared. I started having trouble sleeping again. I paid for a month and didn't take a single class. At that point, I realized I either needed to give up my membership or get my ass back to the hot room. The thought of raising the white flag was unbearable to me so I dragged myself (& Jason) off the couch and into class.

It's always surprising to me, the first class back after being gone for a while. I'm never as bad off as I thought I would be. Sure, it's definitely not the same class as, say, day 60 of a challenge but I've never had a totally flat-on-my-back class after being gone a while. A lot of the struggle is in your head!

I was definitely hot and definitely a little weak in the muscles. I've been dancing a good deal in my time off from yoga so I have at least been moving but dance and yoga are two different animals! The warmup was solid. I felt a good connection between my mind and my breath and my body. I had a great first set of awkward! I hit the pose quickly and really was able to find my peace and stillness within it. I started getting a little lightheaded during eagle but I relied on steady breathing to get me through. I felt pretty good after the warmup and was ready to get to the meat of class.

Standing head to knee is such a hard posture for me. I have a hard time grabbing my foot but once I do, extending my leg isn't really that difficult. I think once I lose some more weight, grabbing my foot will be a lot easier. It's frustrating but I just need to be patient and keep trying. I kept my energy up for the whole posture, never giving up after falling out. I was feeling strong and... wait, was that hail I just heard hit the roof? Um, I know I'm supposed to be focusing, but is that a tornado siren?

The door opened and one of the other yoga teachers made an announcement that a tornado had touched down at Love Field and class was being canceled! Obviously, this is a highly unorthodox event. I've never gone to class to have it stopped in the middle. Classes are very rarely canceled at BYD and it's usually for a workshop or special event they're having. It's a very consistent and structured studio. We were all encouraged to go wait out the storm in the changing rooms, which we did. I had my phone and checked the radar frequently until the tornado warnings passed and the storm was no longer dangerous.

Talk about a wild night. I was kind of disappointed that I made the effort to go to class only to have ti canceled but it actually was pretty funny. I guess I just wasn't meant to take the full class last night. Maybe the universe is really making sure I want to go back to yoga. Well, guess what, universe? I do! I'm going to the 4:30 today and don't you dare try and stop me!

No comments:

Post a Comment